MENU

About Us

History

The International Order of the King’s Daughters and Sons was founded in 1886 in New York by Margaret Bottoms. Their mission: “The development of Christian activity and service, quietly fulfilling the needs that come in hand.” In 1889, the West Virginia Branch was formed by the Wheeling Circles organizing to open a child-care center for working women. In the later 1890’s, employment for the women in the Ohio Valley occurred primarily in three occupations: the Marsh-Wheeling Tobacco Company, hand rolling leaf tobacco into stogies, the Stifel Textile Mill in the production of yard goods and employed in various glass factories along the Ohio River, sorting and packing handblown glassware. In 1897, the original site was over the first B&O Station in the industrialized area, which was convenient to the majority of these industries. The fee for a full day of child care in these early days, was $0.05. Hours of operation for the Center were 7 am to 6 pm.

Child care continued until 1910 when the focus changed from child care to residential nursery care to meet the needs of the changing community. Until 1960, The King’s Daughters Nursery, as it was called then, cared for hundreds of children who were separated from their families. During this period, the nursery occupied at least two more sites: 3534 Eoff Street in South Wheeling and 124 Elm Street, which was purchased in 1928 through gifts and bequests. In 1928, the nursery was incorporated as The King’s Daughters Nursery to board children from infancy to six years old. The nursery functioned at Elm Street until 1960. At this time, the State of West Virginia began to license family foster homes as the preferred environment for abandoned children. During these years, some 7,000 children were cared for by King’s Daughters Nursery.

Faced one again with the need for reorganization, The King’s Daughters chose to revert to their original service concept which was to provide child care services for children of working parents. This continued at the Elm Street location and expanded to East Wheeling in 1965 at the Laughlin Memorial Chapel.

A financial bequest in 1971 enabled The King’s Daughters to purchase the Bethlehem Temple at 60 – 13th Street and several lots across the street which became a parking area. The same financial bequest enabled the building at 60 – 13th Street to be renovated for child care. Named after the donor, Eliza Logan Frizzel, it became known as the ELF Center. In 1976, the Centers together served 90 children daily during the hours of 6:30 am to 6 pm providing them with lunch and snacks.

Our Mission

King’s Daughters Child Care Center cares for children in a nurturing, safe environment encouraging educational experiences, which promote social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development. 

Our Directors

Board of Directors
  • Jamie A. Remp – Executive Director
  • Debbie Kaiser – President
  • Matthew Osborne – Vice President
  • Lea Ridenhour – Treasurer
  • Laura Carter – Secretary
  • Lori Kenamond
  • Patti Kota
  • Cortney Campbell
  • Jessica Benedict
  • MaryLu Hutchins
  • Briana Schulze
  • Sara DeLong

Jamie Remp
Executive Director

Jamie A. Remp joined King’s Daughters Child Care Center in August of 2014. She earned her Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management and her Master’s Degree in Leadership in Education. She has over 20 years of experience in the financial industry. She began her career as a teller, completed a management trainee program, was a branch manager and spent the last part of her career in banking as a trust officer. Jamie has served on various non-profits boards in the Ohio Valley. She was a founding member of the Children’s Museum for the Ohio Valley and OVConnect. She is the Treasurer on the Board of Directors for Elmhurst. She is the Secretary and member of the Wheeling Rotary Club.

Jamie is married to Chad Remp and resides in Wheeling. They have two children, Taylor and Carter.

Jasmine Reynolds
Center Director

Jasmine started her history with King’s Daughters in 1994 as a child in the program, and still remembers all of the great times she had there.  Seventeen years later, she started working with the organization in 2011 as a Child Care Provider. After realizing that her passion was to work with children, she decided to go to college to pursue a degree at West Virginia Northern Community College. She graduated in 2013 with an Associate’s degree in Applied Science majoring in Early Child Care Education. Jasmine earned her Bachelor’s degree in Business Management at Wheeling Jesuit University in May 2017.

Jasmine resides in Wheeling with her son Royal and is excited to bring a new journey to King’s Daughters.